Shopify vs BigCommerce
Trying to figure out whether to host your online store on Shopify or BigCommerce? Both of these are very popular choices, and each offers a number of advantages. Both sites have their drawbacks too however. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons for each, and figure out which emerges on top as the number one choice!
Pros of BigCommerce
- There are a lot of themes which you can use to customize your store, most of which are mobile-responsive.
- BigCommerce provides the most advanced set of tools to shop owners, all included in the base price of membership.
- Enjoy excellent customer service, 24/7.
- There are no transaction fees. Monthly fees are comparable to Shopify.
Cons of BigCommerce
- There are not nearly as many themes on BigCommerce as there are on Shopify, and a lot of them look pretty outdated. So even though you can use these themes to customize your store, you may not be happy with the results.
- While there are BigCommerce experts who can help you set up your shop and keep it running smoothly, there are not that many of them. Shopify has a much bigger expert community. You will have an easier time getting help there if you need it.
- BigCommerce offers optional apps, but less than several hundred. This is pretty paltry compared to what Shopify has to offer. So while BigCommerce makes it easier to start up with a lot of features ready to use, Shopify has more features you can add over the long run.
- BigCommerce isn’t nearly as large as Shopify, which has around twice as many paying customers.
Pros of Shopify
- Like BigCommerce, Shopify has awesome 24/7 customer service.
- Shopify has a huge database of apps you can use to enhance your store—more than 1,000 all told.
- On Shopify, you can get all the help you need from experts.
- Shopify has a far larger selection of both free and paid themes than BigCommerce, and all of them are mobile responsive. You can customize them as much as you want. All of them look sleek, modern, and trendy. There are no outmoded designs here.
Signup for a 14 day free trial to Shopify now and try it for yourself! No strings attached!
Cons of Shopify
- Shopify does charge transaction fees on items that sell. Only when using an external merchant like Paypal or Moneris. Shopify now has their own merchant "Shopify Payments" that when used will waive all extra transaction fees.
- Shopify isn’t as “out-of-the-box” ready as BigCommerce, since you are relying on the apps—some of which may also cost you additional money.
Generally speaking, Shopify and BigCommerce are two very similar services aimed at the same target customers. If you have $29 a month to spend, you could be well-served going with either. If you are looking for modern, sophisticated template designs and the top level of customization through apps, Shopify definitely comes out the winner. BigCommerce may be more “out-of-the-box” ready, but Shopify offers more in the way of solid potential that you can expand on. When it comes to building your business why limit your future growth opportunity by not going with Shopify?!...which is now the largest online cart solution and always expanding and adding features daily!
If you need help getting started with Shopify, you also have a lot more experts you can go to! Or simply email us to build your dream online business as we are also Canadian Shopify Experts!